Saturday, January 31, 2009
Senseless Death
Jeff calls it senseless death. Lots of different death situations fall into this category. Basically, it's the deaths that make no sense whether it's the way they occur, why they occur, or the age of the person it has occurred to. Jeff can tell you the names of fellow soldiers that were killed in Afghanistan and the Afghan families torn apart by death. A few experiences he has had since he started as a police officer include a 16 year old he found hanging in a closet- dead, a 5 year old who shot himself in the head- dead on arrival, and a lady who was killed by her spouse when she was walking into Sunday morning church service. My experiences are more limited, nonetheless just as difficult and heart wrenching. I can name for you the two babies I have taken off of life support and watched slowly slip away: Sruti and Winter. Abigail was doing well when I left work one night- when I came back to work the next day she had died of an overwhelming head bleed. Yesterday I experienced a different kind of senseless death. She was 8 months old and her name was Kelly. We (the neonatal RNs and our Pediatrician) were asked to come down to the ER because there was an 8 month old in full arrest on her way to the ER. To make a long story short. We attempted to revive her for 1 hour and she didn't make it. From the pieces of story we have, she problably started off with a cold that became pneumonia and spread into her blood making her septic causing her fragile little body to "shut down". She shouldn't have gotten this sick- something was missed- her parents tried to get her help. She was beautiful, and it doesn't matter what you believe in, it was a sensless death. Last night I prayed hard for her family. I prayed the Lord would wrap his arms around them and comfort them. I thanked Him for the amazing nurses and doctors that I get to work with and prayed that he would comfort them too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is such a horrible tradgedy. I'm thankful that all those little babies that you help save everyday have you. I certainly am not strong enough to do it. Thank you.
You are amazing. I don't know how you go back to work after something like that happens. Thank you for caring. Thank you for writing.
If I can see through my tears I want you to know how awesome you are and how proud I am to have you as my grandaughter. You and Jeff are both so special to be so caring and dedicating yourselves to helping others. AND Chandler and Baby are so lucky to call you Mom and Dad! Thank you for sharing...
Thank you all for your kind words- it has been a difficult week. Grandma- that's why I was so cranky/short when I got home last Fri night.
Post a Comment