Today is our Anniverary- our 7th Anniversary to be exact. Yesterday a few of my co-workers asked if I thought I'd get the "7 Year Itch." Of course I said no. Yes, we all know that marriage can be difficult. Jeff and I have had our fair share of arguments, disagreements and ups and downs throughout our marriage. Yet, through it all we maintain that we love, respect, and admire each other. In the first seven years of our marriage Jeff and I have dealt with non-stop change. The important piece of each change and/or challenge we have faced is that we faced them TOGETHER. Amongst all of the change and the challenges, there has been twice as many blessings and absolutely joyous times. Here is a quick recap as I reminisce.
December 30, 2000: Married at Trinity Baptist Church by Jeff's dad and surrounded by friends and family.
January 3, 2001: Jeff and I flew to Louisiana for the first time as a married couple- it was amazing and surreal! I started taking classes at Northwestern State University's sattelite campus and working at the Shopette for extra money. Jeff was a gunner in a mortar section at the time.
September 11 2001: Attack on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. The base went on lockdown and Jeff came home and packed his bags late that night. Everyone was put on standby for possible deployment.
December 2001: Drove from Louisiana to Cali and spent a month worth of leave with our families before moving on to HI. (2nd ACR (LA) recieved orders to deploy to Afghanistan the week after Jeff left the unit.)
January 2002: I began classes at Hawaii Pacific University. Jeff continued his military time in a mortar unit. Jeff spent lots of time "in the field" doing training. We figured once that he spent about 2 years of the 3 1/2 years we lived in Hawaii either deployed or doing training "in the field" or stateside.
Summer 2002: Merril suffered a heart attack- we are all so glad he is still with us- I could not have asked for a better father-in-law.
January 2003: One month in Louisiana training.
April 2003: NCO Academy- another month away.
Summer 2003: Jeff spent 3 months in New York helping with training at the Military Academy.
May 1, 2004 0900: Jeff Deployed to Afghanistan- this was probably one of if not the most heart wrenching day of my life. I flew home later the same day to be with my amazingly supportive friends and family for a few weeks.
December 28, 2004: I got to see Jeff for the first time in 8 months! It was the fastest 1 1/2 weeks of my life!
May 1, 2005 0900: Jeff marched into the the hanger where the Re-deployment ceremony (which was way too long) took place. I held on tight and didn't let go of him for a long, long time! I was so proud of him and felt so blessed to have him home safely and in one piece. You see, not all of the spouses were so fortunate. God truly had angels surrounding Jeff during his time in Afghanistan.
May 15, 2005: I graduated from HPU with my BSN!
June 18, 2005: We ended our time in Hawaii and flew home to Cali to start a new chapter in our lives. Jeff began working for Sherman Landscape and Masonry Supply and I began hardcore studying for my boards.
July 4, 2005: Jeff's parents and family dedicated this 4th of July to his safe return. Amen.
July 18, 2005: I took my licensing boards.
July 21, 2005: I got the results of my board exams- B.SmoakRN!!
July 24, 2005: We placed a bid on a townhome and it was accepted the same day! Thanks Tracy!
July 25, 2005: I began working as an RN at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford in their NICU.
September 2005: Moved into our first home.
August 2, 2006: Chandler Nathan Smoak was born at 1847!
September 11, 2006: Jeff began Police Academy in Oakland.
November 24, 2007: Papa Smoak passed away after battling cancer.
January 2007: I had to return to work, but found a great per diem position still working for LPCH in one of their satellite Special Care Nurseries.
February 9, 2007: Jeff was sworn in as a Police Officer in Oakland, CA.
September 29, 2007: Brandon and Kim got married!
December 20, 2007: Jeff and Bre's 7 Year Anniversary!
Throughout our journies Jeff and I have learned a lot:
We have gained perspective, learned how precious and fleeting life can be, learned that nothing beats family and spending time with them, learned that friends can have a profound impact on our lives, learned that no matter what happens in our lives we will make it through or celebrate, whichever it may be, together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Aloha & Happy Anniversary you guys! We love you and wish you many more years to come!
Congratulations!!! We love you guys and always will!
XOXOXOXOXOXOX
Dad and Mom
Happy Anniversary:)
Yeee!! Hooray!! Love you guys!
Happy Anniversary and Congratulations! I love you guys and thank you for letting me be a part of your lives. I'm such a blessed Grandma with such a great family.
Happy 7th Anniversary! I loved the recap you did on the years you've been married.
God bless you 3,
-Stef
Post a Comment